Sunday, October 25, 2015

The Errand Day.

When you go to school full-time, and work two jobs in the evening, you sort of relish and also resent your "Errand day."

For me, this is often Sunday. A day in which I do laundry, I shop for food, I prepare food, and I clean the house and get ALL THE THINGS done that need to be done.

This morning, I woke up next to my love, with little feet pounding around in the hallway outside the room. Little feet is kind of a misnomer, they're actually only slightly-smaller-than-mine feet, as we later saw while shopping for winter boots and closed toed shoes for the kiddo and these chillier months at REI. His feet are now only about 1" shy of my feet, and that is CRAZY.

After that, thrift shopping for Halloween costume components. Shiny Mew, a Pokemon phenomenon. It's going to be good.

AND THEN, grocery shopping, where we took turns hanging out with Kiddo while he ate from the hot/salad bar as the other did their share of shopping. It was efficient, it was awesome, and we got it all done. Everyone was patient and did their part, and even though it was a day of to-and-fro, I was pretty smitten the entire time.

Over breakfast there was some talk of Kiddo money: how he earns, saves, and spends. Manpanion is doing a great job of trying to instill a lot of monetary lessons on responsibility, and I REALLY needed to rake the yard at the Bachelorette Pad. Since it was a gorgeous fall day, and Kiddo was actively seeking ways to make money (like earning $1 for vacuuming the living room at P's house, and $1 for putting away dishes there as well), I offered up a $10/hr position raking up leaves; explaining the difference between paying hourly, and on merit, versus on a per-job basis.

Kiddo worked it out. He really committed to this project, made it fun, and truly did a fantastic job. He added in fun by raking up a giant pile of leaves to jump in (because why else would we rake them?), and made a video in the process. He earned his $10 in 45 minutes, simply because he did not quit, and even when told he was done he still helped us carry out the yard bags to the alley because he had free hands.

So tonight, I'm studying for my next 2 Midterm exams, while roasting and baking and steaming all the things for the week.

I made....

  • a pot of steel cut oats for breakfasts ( I like to stir in peanutbutter for protein)
  • pan fried fajita peppers and onions for burrito bowls (and will add Chicken Tinga I brought home from the taco joint last week and threw in the freezer. FREE PROTEIN!)
  • roasted carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower for kimchi rice bowls
  • a pot of quinoa
  • baked sweet potato (for stuffing and twice-baking. Add quinoa, black bean and corn salsa, and Chicken tinga, with a little cheddar shredded on top)
  • an acorn squash
  • baked apples with brown sugar
The weeks meals are now easy to assemble, and I have a sweet treat in the fridge for when a craving hits. 

Though weigh in is not until Wednesday, I'm feeling mostly confident as I began integrating workouts into my slight free times this last week. I'm going to integrate various levels of the 30 Day Shred, with online workout videos, and my kettle bell. 

Hooray, this week is ON!

xo. 

No comments: