Thursday, September 12, 2013

Weighing In - 09/12/2013

-3.2 pounds. 

Not quite taking off last week's gain, but it's at least a step in the direction I'm trying to go.

I met my goal of tracking 3 complete days last week, but it wasn't easy, so I want to try to meet that goal again this week. It's tough to get back into a routine now that my schedule is hectic, but I know that when school is in session, my days largely remain the same as far as timing of various projects go and when I can commit to a routine or find something that really works for me, it will be easy to keep it up.

I bought a new bike on Tuesday. Well, not a new bike, not at all. I got a 80s Raleigh Horizon mixte for $50 on Craigslist and then rode it by my local bike co-op and picked up a used bike rack. Then a quick jaunt to the hardware store where my friendly associate Floyd picked out all the hardware I'd need and even installed it for me because I was chatty. I didn't ask for help and I don't think Floyd doubted that I could do it myself, but it can be really nice to take something off someone's plate. I was grateful.

So now I'm outfitted with an errand bike to do my grocery shopping. I had previously sold the only hybrid bike I owned, so I didn't have anything with a frame that could carry a rack that could carry... anything of any sort of weight. I have a tendency toward pretty racing/road bikes. It feels really silly to be riding super upright, but it's also REALLY fun. I feel super tall, and my posture is great and it's a really calming ride for me. I tooled around most of Tuesday night, and all of Wednesday morning getting the things done that have been put off for the last 2 weeks while I've been adapting to the absence of a car.

I made to the gym yesterday: for real. I've been stopping by the gym to scan my card because I've been riding my bike so much more that I was using that as exercise, but now I'm sure I've adapted and I shouldn't count it as intentional exercise. I cranked through my favorite superset weight lifting routine and saw my new gym/school friend Tracy. We're in a class together this semester and we recognized each other from the gym, so now we are chatty, which feels great. I love having allies at the gym, but it's hard to start conversations that aren't awkward.

Since I was able to get some grocery shopping done, I've managed to start making my own food again. I had really been convenience fooding it for a couple weeks between my car falling apart and my microwave breaking. It was just easier to pick something up since I couldn't prepare anything super fast the way I needed.

This week I've made a quinoa salad with roasted cauliflower and chickpeas dressed in a spicy lime vinaigrette, sweet and sour spicy cucumber/zucchini noodles and delicious caprese skewers.




So this week I'll be:

  • tracking AT LEAST 3 days, but try to shoot for all 7. 
  • preparing at least 60% of my own meals 
  • get to the gym at least 3 days
  • shooting to NOT gain
Any new goals for you this week? I'm interested to hear tips on getting back on track, I'm having a tough time recommitting with this empty space in my metabolism where nicotine used to speed it up. 

No comments: