Thursday, March 14, 2013

Weighing In - 03/14/2013

Previous weight: 155.4
Today's weight:  154.4

This week's results: -1.0lbs


HEYOOO. 


I overate like crazy, but I also cranked up the fitness significantly. I truly have no idea how many points I would have gone over this week, but I imagine a number like 230, blaring in red, staring at me from my Weight Watcher's tracker. There is no sense in feeling guilty about it. It's just food, and it already happened. I can only look ahead. 


Now that I'm OFFICIALLY recommitted and back on track, I'm trying to think in ways that turns this into a more whole body, health-centered experience. Because I've been able to keep more than 40lbs off for more than 5 years, I can definitely be assured that I have made some serious life changes in this department. However, I play around with the same 10lbs year after year. Up and down, up and down, so I'm trying to take the focus off the scale a bit and think about the other amazing benefits of eating clean. 


For one, I don't want to be skinny. I pride myself on my curves. I love them. I think they're super hot. And I am very thankful that I was blessed with a body that distributes the weight I gain (easily) evenly. Even at 200+lbs, I never felt that I looked HUGE. I wasn't really round, I just filled out... a lot. 


So, because I do actually want to lose weight, I know that I need to keep focusing on fitness as central to my plan. I don't want to be skinny, and simply eating myself into a calorie deficit would only get me that. Strength training and cardio are going to firm me up into the Brickhouse I know I can be and am mostly on my way to becoming. 


Second, my skin is in a constant state of flux. When I eat too much sugar, like I have for the past week, I break out like a pubescent teenager. 





You can see that right now I've got two splats of cystic acne in the bottom half of my face. I snapped this pic before work yesterday to see how prevalent they were after I applied my tinted moisturizer and I ended up thinking it was actually kind of a nice photo, even with the zits.


I wanted to post it to remind myself that the whole is greater than the sum of its' parts. If I'm not focusing on the zits here, this picture is very Mona-Lisa-what-is-she-thinking to me, and I like that.

A change in perspective.

But I do recognize that when I am eating whole foods and not processed crap, my skin looks awesome. So, a healthier diet turns me into a glowing skinned Brickhouse. Check.

It was also a strange coincidence that Fitness Magazine's newsletter in my inbox this AM was related to this very thing, so here are the 10 best foods for good skin and the Happy Diet! 

All in all, I'm very glad to see a loss this week, however undeserved. I'll be working hard to earn the loss that should show up next week, and I'll be amping up my water and veggies intake to try to accomplish the skin glow. I've also been wondering if I'm not eating ENOUGH fat, in general, so I'm going to splurge and treat myself to avocados all week.

Any deep thoughts this week? New revelations? Goals? What's going on?



3 comments:

Tiffany Campiotti said...

I sat down this week and actually did the math, trying to figure out if my goals are realistic. Turns out that if I stick with my "goal" of 136 it's unrealistic if I want to maintain my current lean body mass. Since I don't want to lose lbm, only fat, the more realistic goal is 140-143 which puts me at18-20% body fat and maintains my current lbm. I'm eating at a very small deficient and strength training like an animal and getting good results. I am also not shooting for "skinny". I love my curves and muscles.
Hope you have a good week!

erin said...

Congrats on the loss! I too feel like I've been playing with the same 10 pounds (well, more like 15, but who's counting?). I also have realized recently how much more I should focus on body composition instead of the scale. I have soo much flab, and all the cardio in the world isn't going to fix that. I need to do weight lifting, but I just plain don't like it. Still, I need to get my butt in gear!

nic said...

Tiffany: TOTALLY! I agree. I often wonder if my goal weight is even attainable, let alone sustainable. We're all composed different. Let's just keep going!

Erin: I hear you. I'm very blessed to have ALWAYS loved Strength Training, but I switch it up ALL the time. I change my routines almost every two weeks, and Pinterest has been A HUGE help for that! So many new programs to pin and put into gear.