Monday, October 15, 2012

Spaghetti Squash: dressed up!


 One part of my haul from the apple orchard on Sunday was a huge spaghetti squash. I decided I'd try to dress it up instead of covering it in spaghetti sauce the way I usually do.

And so I decided to make turkey meatballs and SPICY spaghetti squash with zucchini and tomatoes!


Fresh herbs, minced. I chose marjoram, sage, thyme and rosemary.





gluten free bread for breadcrumbs

 egg + breadcrumbs + fresh herbs + turkey. Mix.
oops, forgot the shallots. 

mini balls.


baked and raked spaghetti squash (40 minutes at 375)

saute zucchini in garlic and TONS of red pepper flakes

mix everything together, top with a bit of parmesan and DONE. 

YUM. 

For me, this turned into a 7points+ meal. Not too shabby. Definitely full and had a great time making it. 

How are you dressing up your fall squash? 


3 comments:

Tiffany Campiotti said...

That looks great! I love butternut squash soup :) With temps creeping back up to the upper 80's again this week, I'm still not in "fall" mode with food lol

Missy said...

Can you give a tutorial on spaghetti squash - actually my question maybe came too late... I tried making it once and failed miserably... Any pointers?

nic said...

Definitely, Missy! I always just cut it lengthwise, scrape out all the seeds (like any squash) and put it rind up (cut side down) in a pan with a very small layer of water at the bottom to help it steam itself a little bit. 375 degrees for about 40 minutes.

When you can push into the rind, that's when it's done, but it's a delicate balance. You don't want to over-do it because then it gets sloppy.

The raking is easy. Just use a fork! It comes right off in strands. Best to let it cool some or you'll burn your hand raking it!

You should try it again! It's such a great vessel for all the things we love about spaghetti (meatballs! the sauce!) without all the extra cals/points from the pasta!