Wednesday, September 19, 2012

TOM meets TIM.

So... TOM is upon me, or will be in the next 24 to 48 hours. It got me thinking, however, that TOM should meet TIM, my partner in crime. TIM stands from Treats In Moderation, and it's my TOM combat plan.

Now that I am in weight loss mode, I realize I need to scale back the calories on some things. That means "diet food," which I have been abhorrently avoiding for the past 2 years. I've been trying not to eat fake food, which is exactly what I think "diet food" is. Low fat cheese tastes like plastic, and I'm not entirely convinced that's not what it is.

However, there have always been a few tricks that have really worked for me, and the best part of being on a weight loss journey for super extended long term periods of time means you learn a lot about yourself. Weaknesses, expectations, cravings and the like.

When TOM hits, I want carbs. ALL THE CARBS, EVERY CARB ALWAYS. I also want sugary sugar things and as much protein as I can get.

That's where TIM comes in. I can't eat all the carbs ever, but I can have some carbs, and I can have EXTRA carbs if I plan well, which I did.

I took two grocery trips. One to my co-op, which is my normal food store. I'm a member-owner and this is where I buy all my local/organic/way more awesome food. At the co-op I grabbed...
Organic grapes, strawberries, grapefruit, bananas and pluots. Ben & Jerry's Greek Frozen Yogurt in Banana Peanut Butter flavor. KIND Oats & Honey Clusters with Toasted Coconut. Local goat cheese with a touch of local honey and a bulb of garlic.  

Local free-range chicken breasts, Low fat cottage cheese, 2lbs of baby carrots, Super greens, Great Northern beans and Cannellinni beans. 

Oh... and a piece of injera bread because it's soooo tasty. 


I also hit up Rainbow Foods, a very large chain grocery store in my neighborhood. There I picked up...
Special K protein plus cereal, Diet A&W root beer, Nonfat Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa, Whole Grain Goldfish crackers, 5 Lean Cuisine Pizzas, Lite Frozen Waffles, Gluten Free Chocolate Muffin Tops and a bunch of faux crab. 

I love this faux crab because it's like a handful of protein but very low cal. Great on salads or by itself. 

These pizzas are my lifesavers during TOM. I want all the carbs, so these make sure I have them in pre-portioned amounts. 



Do you generally plan ahead for "trouble weeks?" Issues like TOM and all the hormones involved, or maybe a week where you have multiple work related parties/happy hours? 


No comments: