Monday, September 24, 2012

Manic Monday.

Mondays are my big school day.

When I decided to go back to school, I was working around a full-time schedule of 50+ hours per week with my very demanding and stressful career in social work. I've since left that organization for something with way less responsibility.

That first semester back to school included 3 really long classes that met only once per week because it was all I could fit in my schedule. After having tried the 55-minute-every-day classes last semester, I can tell you I definitely prefer the long and less often. It's great to have learned this about myself, as it opens up far more time for homework and a sliver of a social life.

Mondays are jam-packed.

My first class starts at 8:15am. This class lets out at 11:30am, second class begins at 2:30pm.

That's a pretty big gap.

Yes, my friends, it is. And when it's nice out, it's a lovely gap. I ride my bicycle to school, and if we are let out early, I ride back home to prepare a very delicious lunch. If it's not so nice, I find a new spot on campus to do homework and drink hot coffee and usually pick up a  6" Subway sandwich.

I'm observing the area around my school. I'm still new to the campus, and because I only spend 2 days a week there (based on the long class days), I don't know all the shortcuts or hidden spots. Just down the street, a Lunds was built last year. This is a classy grocery store chain here in Minneapolis/St. Paul. They always have an amazing salad bar and deli selection, so I know this is one option for lunch.

Today, however, I have a plan. In writing.


This is the same board I've used for the last 8 years. The last time I used it was when I switched to my current job, which had an erratic schedule - a rough transition after 6 years of M-F-type hours.

I spent some time last night coming up with a meal plan for the week based on what is in my fridge and the time/circumstance of each day's schedule. Today, the weather says I'll be able to bike back home for lunch, so I've planned to have a bowl of the Butternut Squash Soup I made on Saturday with my Farmer's Market haul. It is a quick, low-point lunch that feels indulgent because I wouldn't be able to bring it with me to school.

When I return to school, my second class goes from 2:30pm to 5:30pm. This is great timing for dinner. I get home and I am able to spend time making myself something new, or I can throw together a quick meal. Monday dinners can be the event of the evening, or a utility on my way to completing more homework before crashing. Tonight I've planned for left-overs and an early bedtime.

I have everything planned to 20 points maximum. I receive 26 points per day, and when I make a meal plan, I try to list as much whole food as possible so that this meal plan would work on it's own at 20 points, or allowing for an extra snack, a glass of wine with dinner, an (at-home) ice cream cone, or a quick happy hour with a friend who's called last minute.

I fully acknowledge that my day can't always go as planned, and as a planner, I try to plan for that too.

Do you make a meal plan for the week? The day?


1 comment:

Tiffany Campiotti said...

I am horrible at menu planning. I'm trying to get better, it's just not my forte...especially with a husband who comes home and says "That doesn't sound good, can we have X?". I finally got fed up with him and just wait to see what he feels like, but that can be a recipe for disaster lol.
Enjoy your butternut squash soup :)