Saturday, March 19, 2011

Good Morning.

It's been a while.

Last time we talked, I was planning how to stay on track after a disaster of a Superbowl party, but a massively successful Valentine's Day.

And then... I got sick again.

Really really sick.

Can't even play on the internet sick. For a week. And then another week (though luckily I was back playing on the internet) and finally well enough to go back to work. However, the last 3 weeks have contained a lingering cough and feeling of general malaise.

Pneumonia probably. I wrote my doctor an e-mail (THE FUTURE) and she prescribed me some antibiotics to knock the junk out. It's my 5th day and it seems to be working well.

I have been to the gym every day this week. Enough of the Minnesota snow has melted that I felt comfortable bringing my new(er) bike out to ride around, so getting places is a lot more fun now. I roasted a chicken. I made beef stew. I mashed sweet potatoes. I cooked up the most delicious dish which I am sharing with you here:


Pork Medallions with Ginger Pears and Chutney

/4 pound pork tenderloin, cut into 1" slices
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp canola oil
2 pears, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
2 tsp grated peeled ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup mango chutney
1/4 cup chicken broth
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried

Sprinkle the pork with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tsp of the oil in a nonstick skillet over high-heat. Arrange the pork in the skillet in a single layer so that the slices don't touch, in batches if necessary; cook until browned, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the meat to a plate and cover to keep warm.

Add the remaining 1 tsp oil to the skillet. Add the pears, ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the pears are tender and golden (5 minutes). Add the chutney, broth and thyme. Bring to a boil, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet and cook until the sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.

Arrange the pork on a platter and spoon the pear mixture on top.

No comments: