Friday, February 4, 2011

Spicy Chicken

Yesterday Missy asked for the recipe to my Spicy Pulled Chicken leftovers I used in my Lunch Tales concoction, so here it is:

  • 1 pound uncooked boneless/skinless chicken breasts (I usually use thighs because they're cheaper and more flavorful)
  • 4-8 large garlic cloves (unpeeled)
  • 2-4 dried ancho peppers (I LOVE spice, so I do not seed them and use 4, but if you just want a little smokey bite, use 2 and seed them)
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp salt
  • cilantro
Place chicken in a single layer in a large nonstick skillet, cover with water. Add cilantro sprigs (5-6) and 1 peeled clove of garlic. Cook chicken breasts over medium heat until no longer pink in the center (10-15 minutes). Remove chicken from pan and let cool; reserve pan liquid.

Shred cooled chicken and set aside. Pour that reserved cooking liquid over dried ancho peppers in a medium bowl. Cover and soak peppers about 10 minutes.

Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add remaining unpeeled garlic cloves and roast in pan, turning frequently until blackened in spots. Remove to a small bowl and when cool enough to handle, peel them.

Place peppers, garlic, tomato sauce and cumin in jar of a blender (or small bowl if you have an immersion blender, which is what I use) and blend on high until smooth (4 minutes generally because of the peppers). Pour mixture into a sauce pan, add chicken and heat through.

BOOM. Done. Yum.

SO good in so many ways. Taco salad, fajitas, on nachos, with black beans on cottage cheese and SO many other ways. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Missy said...

Thanks! That's sounds amazing!!

Lycia said...

Hiiii Nicole! I just re-discovered your blog and was excited to see you were back at it. I have been getting the inklings to start using the WeightWatchers tools again. I'll begin by digging out my Becks book :)

Alexa said...

Do you have a picture?? I'm all about food pictures before I make something. =)