Wednesday, December 8, 2010

and so it goes.

Yesterday was our annual holiday office party. It's not like a "fancy" office party where people dress up and have cocktails and dance and get drunk and accidentally make out with each other. It's a celebration in the middle of the work day, where there is super fatty tired-inducing food and some games.

This year, I opted out.

I spoke to my boss, who knows my situation with food. She was just a colleague 3 years ago when I was losing all my weight. She was very impressed and inspired and asked me to help her at the gym. I did. We worked out together, we talked about food, we traded cookbooks. I knew she'd understand, and she did. I got a get out of jail free card.

I went home and prepared myself a healthy lunch. I went to the gym. I ran some errands. It was definitely a better choice.

I did, later, on a whim, head out to a little cafe to play a couple games of cribbage with a twitter friend. I had 2 beers when I meant to have one. I'm not beating myself up about it because had I chosen to go to the Holiday party, I would have had 0934438395845 more PlusPoints than I ended up having with those 2 beers, which I earned because I had the points for them.

I'm starting to come around again to the fact that this is a barter and trade system with myself. If I want a beer, I have to work out longer. If I want to be lazy, I have to eat less. It's a simple concept, but it's so easy to feel that it's "unfair" or that no one else has to live life this way. Which is somewhat true, because a lot of other people don't want to eat until they can't move. That's not a "normal" thing for them. So, because I have food issues, I have to keep myself in check.

When deciding whether or not to skip the party, I did solicit some advice from other dieters on some good solutions. Here's what they said:
  • Fill your plate with vegetables and carry it around.
  • Always keep a glass of water in your hand so you have one less hand to shovel food into your mouth.
  • Use this time to visit with those people in other departments you rarely get to see. If you're talking, you're not chewing.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Great job!!! It sounds like you made an awesome choice!!

Lee said...

Those are great suggestions. I especially like the carry around a glass of water strategy.

Rebecca said...

I'm with you.. it really is a bartering game and yet can still feel so unfair at times..

Splurgie said...

I like the idea of carrying around a plate of veggies. You're partaking without indulging.