Saturday, September 18, 2010

hello again.

Hello again my friends.

I'm making a firm attempt to return to blogging. I needed to get my footing first.

I have been on a going-out strike for about 2 weeks at this point, trying to regain momentum with my motivation toward cooking for myself and focusing on making healthy choices. This has been going well so far, but mostly because I have taken a new direction for a main goal, which has been my budget.

It's easy to focus on how expensive healthy food is when you're swiping your card at the grocery store, but all in all we know that cooking for ourselves at home is incredibly economical.

If you're a budget conscious person, I highly recommend mint.com as a tool. It's ridiculously user-friendly and quite eye opening. Also, pie charts.

Mint.com let me know that in August I spent more than $600 out at bars and restaurants. This doesn't work at all because it's about 1/4 of what I make in a month. Possibly more depending on the month now that my organization has cracked down on who is exempt and who is not with the entrance of our new HR director (and an HR department in general). I am no longer salaried and the balance of 30 hour weeks to 70 hour weeks has been shifted with the seasons. This will end up working in my favor more often than not because I tend to get extremely busy in the cooler months with the holidays, so I expect that quite a bit of overtime will be coming my way. This week alone I worked 16 hours of overtime. YE$.

I fully realize that the absence of exercise has contributed the most to my weight gain. I used to be a gym rat. It used to be my favorite way to spend time. Now I rarely even want to ride my bicycle. I quit my fancy gym that I was never using, and have decided to re-join the YWCA. That means ZUMBA! That means 8 blocks from my house! That means a WAY cheaper membership! Efficiency.

You can expect to see me posting here regularly again, as it is a pledge I have made to my best friend who has realized that blogging really helped her in her journey and we are both working on losing weight we have re-gained. I am hoping that my commitment to re-committing will help her along also as we have always stuck together.

5 comments:

Drazil said...

Glad to see you back.

Heidi said...

Welcome back! I was so excited to see your blog again in my feed.

Thanks for the suggestion to www.mint.com. I'm really trying to crack down on my going out, and seeing where my money is going is probably the kick in the pants I needed.

Karen (Hello Gorgeous) said...

Welcome back! Hope to see you posting again more frequently.
I'd love to use mint.com but they don't support any German banks.

Tiffany said...

Welcome back! I haven't been doing much blogging lately either. Can't wait to follow along with your progress.

Lor said...

wahoo! glad to see you back! and ZUMBA IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITEEEEEEEEEE!