Wednesday, September 22, 2010

chalking it up.

Yesterday wasn't the greatest day for my food plan. Know why? Because I didn't have one.

The first half of the day went well, regardless. I ate breakfast (oats + 1tbsp Peanut Butter) and had a small banana for a snack. I was having a TERRIBLE day and because I'm prone to emotional eating, I was very much on guard.

A friend of mine, trying to be a sweetheart (and succeeding) brought me some tart treats from Whole Foods, delivering them to my workplace. They looked decadent, but because I recognized I was in a terrible mood, I made sure to give 2 of the 3 treats away. I did savor one, and I took the time to savor every second of it.

I didn't get a chance to sit down and eat lunch until about 2pm, which for someone who gets to work at 6:30am is really really really late. I am generally home for lunch, which makes eating healthy an easier option. I had baked up some spaghetti squash on Sunday, so I tossed some of that in a pan with homemade sauce and a handful of spinach. You really can't get a heartier low point lunch than that. It came out to 1.5 points, and it was a sizable bowl of hot deliciousness. I feel like that more than made up for the tart that I savored earlier.

Things started to fail as I felt more and more stressed in the late afternoon. I'd been working all day, running all over the city, ate a late and relatively hurried lunch which made me hungry for dinner a little early. I re-heated a small portion of pork roast and some yams and gobbled it up in a matter of minutes. Because I didn't leave time to FEEL full, I didn't feel full. I ate an ice cream cone. And then I ate a popsicle. I tracked both of these and still had points left for the day.

I headed out to meet up with Paul, my manpanion, at his house just because. He got a new rear wheel for his bike, which was a fixed gear and now it's a 3-speed internal hubbed cycle of awesomeness. I sat around on the porch preparing for a workshop and drinking half of a Crispin Cider. [I'm out of points now]

Did I mention I stopped on the way there and bought 1/2 a dozen cupcakes?

Did I mention I only tasted one of them, and when I say taste I literally mean taste?

Win.

I attended my workshop, which I forgot went until 9pm instead of 8pm. I sat there, somewhat bored and definitely tired which I mistook for hungry because every unidentifiable feeling in my life equals hunger, apparently. Luckily, I had a Kashi granola bar in my purse. I ate it. [-3.5 points at this point. I count .5 points for the lick of the cupcake] Then I had a glass of wine [-5.5 points]

When I realized I really should get to a birthday party for a friend I hadn't seen in about 4 months... I dedicated myself to attending for at least 45 minutes. My best friend decided to go too, sweetening the deal. I hadn't seen her in at least 3 weeks, which is too too long. I had 2 beers [-11.5 points] but a lot of fun.

When I got home, I felt "hungry" again. I made a fried egg [-13.5 points] and dished up a little bit of my favorite brussel sprout/bacon hash [-16.5 points].

I fell asleep almost instantly.

So, not a great eating day, but I had all of my flex points available. HAD being a key word. Now I only have 18.5 of them and I'm going to need those because I am too busy/tired to actually get any activity in.

I didn't wise up and make a meal plan for today, mostly because I was asleep. I'm thinking about cranking that out as soon as I hit "publish" on this post.

Do you make meal plans?

2 comments:

Lor said...

Sort of. I have enough food for the week in the house, and if I don't go for that, we get subway. I buy enough lean cuisines for lunches for the week so i've always got something to grab, and i always have bananas or canned green beans for my snacks at work. **shrugs** it's kind of fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants plan, but it's worked the last 3 weeks!

Karen (Hello Gorgeous) said...

I don't make meal plans at all, but I generally don't eat meals that have a lot of points (like more than a third of my daily allowance) unless I know I have them left over at the end of the day. This works for me as usually dinner is when I eat more points than for lunch.
If I go out to dinner or lunch I use my flex points for that. And I try to stick to fruit and a yogurt or so as snacks in between meals.
It'll probably be harder once I have a job and can't cook all my meals at home without cooking the day before.