Monday, March 8, 2010

From Farm to Fork.

This weekend went by a lot quicker than I wanted it to. I managed to get myself in to a good amount of trouble in that brief couple of days, but that's a story for another time, or perhaps, another blog.

I followed through with my pledge for the TUTU Challenge on Saturday. 2 miles on the treadmill at 6.3 mph (about 9.75 min mile), 1.25 hours of Step class and 1 hour of Circuit Training.

I didn't barf, though I may have entertained the idea as an excuse to leave the room, which gets extra sweaty when you stay an extra hour. Amazingly enough, come Sunday morning, I wasn't the least bit sore. I managed to burn 1,139 calories! Amazing.

Later on Saturday I took off for my cooking class: The Solo Cook. Here's that adventure:

Mississippi Market Coop's new(er) West 7th Street store in St. Paul

All cooperatives in our area typically remind you that you're MEANT to be there. #gocoop!


This is Kristin of Farm to Fork setting up her station



If you don't have a Microplane, you should probably get one.

Our first dish: a lentil, chard, sausage and bacon stew served over crostini. This can be eaten just as a stew, over toast, or made in to a salad of sorts. So many ways!

We spent a fair amount of time talking about what "the solo cook" needs to have in their kitchen. I tend to have an extremely OVER stocked kitchen, so I was excited to know that I'm in a good place as far as equipment goes.

I do NOT, however, have a cleaver, and now I really want one.

Chocolate bread pudding

I kind of liked it. Can you tell? Yes, those are finger swipes.

The frittata, the highlight of the class. A simple yet complicated dish to master. It can be the perfect vessel for any veggies you have in your fridge that are becoming questionable.


All done, now to slide it out.

My friend Stephanie and I really enjoyed the taste testing aspect of the class.

Frittata

Oh.

Yum.



All in all, the class was fun and informative as far as giving me some ideas with how to better utilize whole foods (less processed) more often in my cooking and taking the emphasis on making solid "meals" in the realm that we always imagine them. It doesn't always have to be a big production. For instance, this afternoon I was feeling lazy and didn't want to "make" lunch. I didn't have any frozen meals to fall back on but didn't feel like "making" anything. I remembered back to the beginning of all of this, how I "assembled" things. I grabbed a chicken breast, spread jalapeno hummus on it, dumped some black beans on top of that and served myself up a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. It was pretty much the most delicious thing I've had in a long time and it took no effort. I need to remember things like this when I'm digging around in the freezer. I will be FAR more satisfied if I take the extra 3 minutes to put something together.

However, I was hoping for a little more advice on how to cut down on food costs or some good recipes that serve two. No go. All 3 of the recipes we took home served 4-6, and most of the class was focused on having a well stocked kitchen for a "live alone." I think this would have been a really great class for the recently divorced man. As a seasoned cook with a well stocked kitchen and pantry, I got little use. However, Kristin was really kind to answer a lot of my questions about freezing best practices, so I can continue to make the recipes I loved to cook for the family and freeze myself individual portions.

The best part? Hanging out with my friend Steph whom I hadn't seen in forever, spending some time out and about doing something productive and having a portion controlled lunch!

What was the highlight of your weekend?


8 comments:

shamrock said...

That frittata looks delicious. Are you planning on posting the recipe? Please?

Julie, The Accidental Fat Chick said...

Agreed, the frittata looks yummy!

The highlight of my weekend was a 2+ mile hike led by my 11 year old. He only got us a little lost, lol. :)

Ann said...

I drove by the St. Paul Mississippi Market this weekend and blurted out, "oh! The girls blog about that! I want to stop there!" so that'll be an upcoming weekend adventure!

Jen, a priorfatgirl said...

finger swipes...ha! Love it!

Glad you had a good weekend! Your always doing fun stuff.

Just a Girl said...

I dunno about finger swipes, I probably would have licked the plate clean!

Food all looks amazing, I am very jealous :D

nic said...

Oh JAG, I would have, but I was in public. The finger swipes were the least obvious way to get every last morsel.

Just a Girl said...

Hahaha I can just seek you sneakily swiping the plate - I love it :D

Stephanie said...

I love the sound of your cooking class. Here in Boulder there's an abundance of farm to table classes and restaurants. The ideology is so simple yet so foreign to many!
9 weight loss