Thursday, February 25, 2010

Time For Change. (TMI involved)

After endless arguments, I've self-diagnosed myself with a gluten intolerance.

Here's a little TMI for you: I'm a fart factory. I have an awful stomach, and I get bloaty and gassy and I'm pretty much disgusting to be around. This generally happens (at least as I've been tracking and noticing) after I eat wheat products. It's time to smash this.

I'm going on a gluten fast. That's right, gluten free. I've set a one month goal, but I'm hoping this is the cause of my distended stomach (endless) and stankass gas, in which case, I'll be GF forever.

I made a quick stop at the store tonight to pick up a couple swaps and treats of the gluten free variety, and I'm actually somewhat excited. I think for the most part, I'll be eating clean. Just protein, vegetables and dairy at every meal. This is a fantastic way to eat! It cuts out all of the crap that sends me off the deep end either way.

I have 2 girlfriends who are gluten intolerant, and I've tapped them for their endless knowledge, and I've also found a whole host of blogs that I'll be enjoying. If you feel like following along, here they are:
And so, friends, I invite you to join me on this journey as I start eating clean to determine if I am, in fact, intolerant of gluten. I know it's a weird twist, but if for no other reason than perhaps this will be a good lesson to all of us in how to get creative and stay satisfied while eating clean.

Do you have any food allergies? Was it difficult to adjust your eating habits around them?

4 comments:

Jen, a priorfatgirl said...

oh crapola - I guess you can just not eat anything in your goodie bag on Saturday until your 2 weeks are up.

The Accidental Fat Chick said...

I was just discussing this topic with a friend last week. He owns a health food store & knows a ton about nutrition. His advice was to give your body at least a month gluten free to really see the full difference. I'm still considering trying it... so I'll be anxious to see your experience with it.

Rebecca said...

I've actually been thinking of trying this too, but for my acne issues.

Interested to see your results!

Fiona said...

As a diagnosed coeliac, may I make a suggestion? Before you eliminate a food group from your diet get tested properly. There are simple blood tests that can give you a good indication.
That way you know for sure, and the biopsy which is required for proper diagnosis needs you to have been eating gluten.