Sunday, February 28, 2010

SnackAttack

Trying to prepare for the week, especially with GlutenFast2010, I was creating some of my own "convenience food" to replace the quick snacks I became accustomed to (like delicious and filling Kashi Bars).

I spent some time with my scale and a box of snack sized bags.




tons of 3 point servings of cinnamon-sugar coated almonds

All of that packing made me a little snacky. You would think I'd just reach for the almonds I was playing with, but I decided to go for one of the new treats I got at the PriorFatGirl meet up I talked about yesterday.


Cookie Bites from Kay's Naturals


This totally decent sized bag clocked in at only 2 points (110/2/3) and packed 10 grams of protein! WOW! (and yum)



actual size shot of the bites

I was pretty sad to see that the boxes of single serving packets were sold out on Kay's website, especially since Jen, a prior fat girl, has a super sweet discount code through April 15th! (just enter "priorfatgirl" when checking out for 30% off your order!)

Sweet tooth satisfied, I figured I ought to make some "real" food so I stuffed a turkey tenderloin cut at the bottom of a roasting pan FULL of delicious veggies.



The downside? I'm an idiot and put all these things in together, knowing full well the veggies shouldn't have entered the picture until the last 1/2 hour of roasting time. Dumb. They were ruined by steaming and were horrible. I am going to toss them into a soup though, so it's not a total loss.

How do you rescue a meal you were totally excited for yet totally ruined?



5 comments:

bethsjourney said...

Hi! I came across your blog and love it. I'm sure the turkey tasted great and good job thinking of using the veggies in a soup... I'd never think to do that!

Jen, a priorfatgirl said...

I love making my own little snacky bags - but, those Kay's Naturals sure are delish, huh?! So glad you like them!

The Accidental Fat Chick said...

Overcooking veggies is a bad habit of mine. Depending on the veggies, I will either use them to make a veggie broth or puree them to use to add some "weight" to soups.

Alexa said...

Yum, Yum!! I made my own little snack bags out of the Funky Monkey dried fruit (and went and bought even more flavors) so good!
Have a great Monday!

antgirl said...

Good thinking on the snacking.

Your roast pan looks delicious with all those veggies. There have been times Husband & I have had to get out the emergency frozen entrees stocked in the freezer. LOL

We learn by experimenting and get better.