Thursday, February 4, 2010

Roadblocks.

I'm stirring over the topic of roadblocks this morning. Obstacles. Bumps in the road. The things that derail us.

They're all almost always mental, which feels funny when we're force-fed the idea that losing weight is as simple as "eat less, move more." While that is the physical case, how do we mentally prepare ourselves to drop our well ingrained habits?

Gigi at Cranky Fitness put up a great post this morning about Self Sabotage. The only thing that is stopping us.. is us.

Sure, we love to play the blame game. My great aunt Martha made me cookies, how could I refuse? There was banana bread in the break room. I just HAD to order the cream of cream soup while out to lunch with co-workers. It's all so easy. The situations we excuse ourselves with.

I'm definitely the poster child for this currently, or I could be if I didn't know any better. I ended a really long-term live-in relationship. It wasn't easy. I feel horrible, disconnected and I miss him. I could drown my sorrows in pint after pint of Ben and Jerry's, but instead I'm focusing my energy on creating my own life. It's a new chance. Just like you get a new chance - every single day.

Is it helpful to know that each day (literally every day) when you wake up, you have the opportunity to do whatever you want? It's called Free Will. We all make our own decisions. Sure, we make certain choices to avoid certain consequences, but the fact of the matter is that you are the only person in the director's chair of your own life. You make it how you want it. Apparently a lot of us want to be fat and miserable.

At my meeting last night, we spoke a lot about positive self-talk. I've been practicing this lately. Anything that I wouldn't say to a friend (and I'm pretty brutal honest), I'm not allowed to say to myself. It's perfect timing for me to work on this part of my mental life right now because I have eliminated a constant supporter in my life. I need to replace that person. I need to step up my game and support myself x2.

Practicing positive self-talk gives you the confidence to defeat the demons as they pop up. We are what we repeat. That's why I'm daily repeating that I'm a fierce, determined, successful, super hot lady diva. The more I say it, the more it will be true. Just be careful not to repeat your new mantra out loud or you may get a lot of confused looks and possibly land yourself in the loony bin.

One analogy I heard last night was in regards to Motorcycle Training. Apparently, when you're you're learning how to maneuver your death trap [motorcycle] you are instructed NOT to look at the bumps in the road. Where your eyes land, your bike will follow. Having taken the last month off plan, I can say with all confidence that this is extremely helpful advice.

With everything that's happened to me in the past few months, had I focused solely on those things (rather than putting more energy into fitness, spending time with family/friends/dogs/books, etc) I would be 15 pounds heavier and dealing with a big case of PLOM (poor little old me). If you focus on the road (or big picture) and take those bumps as they come with your hands firmly gripped, you'll be ok.

Ok fat bottomed girls, get on your bikes and RIDE!

3 comments:

Continuous Changes said...

This is a great post! The one thing my boyfriend used to ALWAYS say to me is,"You're the one beating yourself up and saying negative things about YOU! Knock it off! Start saying positive things because you need to know inside yourself that you are awesome!" I turned it around and at the first negative thought I would flip it around and remind myself that I need to love myself in order to repair the damage to my own self esteem!

You're at a crossroads right now and you WILL come out on the other side stronger and more in love with yourself! Just remind yourself that you ARE awesome!

antgirl said...

This gig is more mental than physical to have staying power. :)

imreadytobareitall said...

Wow. What you just wrote about what you wouldn't say to a friend, don't say to yourself....Wow. That is so amazing. I'm gonna need to start practicing that. Wow.