Monday, December 7, 2009

50/50.

Today I reached 50 followers.

I'm in awe of this number and eternally grateful for the opportunity to follow so many of YOU that it feels like a blessing to know that people read my rants, advice and struggles. Thank you for supporting me and allowing me to support you.

I just got out of the shower, which in the winter in Minnesota is a huge indulgence. Feeling warm in the midst of below freezing temperatures feels fantastic, as well as washing off the sweat of yet another fantastic workout at The Firm.

Now that I'm smoke free (16 days and counting!), I find that I have a lot more free time on my hands than previously thought. I am one of those high-stress people who thrives off being busy and ever-occupied. Stress, to me, is not always negative. I enjoy deadlines and hard work and tasks and other things that make me think and move. That's just how I operate.

Because I've found these outlets of time, I've been reading a lot more. It's something I tend to do more often in the winter also as there is less thrill in sitting around outside or going for walks in the evening.

Saturday afternoon I picked up a book I had sitting on the shelf for quite some time. My sister gave it to me in 2005, after I had won and then subsequently lost a battle with weight (and weight watchers) for the first time. I was looking for an easy way out and my sister, wanting to help, gave me the book French Women Don't Get Fat. I never read it.

And so it sat on my bookshelf... until that fateful day when I decided enough is enough and I'll try (read) anything that might spark inspiration to get back on track from the ridiculous amount of snacking and binging which has become the norm after quitting smoking.

I was hooked instantly. I love the idea of this book. I'm only about 115 pages in, but I've already taken a lot away from it. I believe it helped me through the pizza party on Saturday night. The book preaches about indulging, eating well, never filling up. True quality over quantity.

French women shop often, in season, and cook almost all meals - like me. I LOVE going to the market in the summer and fall (I'm in MN, remember) and to the Co-op during off seasons. I love making the most of the produce we have here when it's ripe and delicious and I certainly love good real food. The book encourages making an event out of eating a meal. Set the table, light a candle, use cloth napkins. Savor every bite. Never read or distract yourself while eating, focus entirely on the pleasure food brings.

I can certainly see how through this lifestyle you learn what you truly like and what you could take or leave. This helps you to select things in moderation and cut back when you have indulged. It also makes you feel sexy. I'm not kidding. All day, the way I've treated my food, my coffee, my tea... feels feminine. It feels special.

...it's a freaking Monday!

I highly recommend this book. I'm reading it and The End of Overeating simultaneously, and I find that extremely helpful considering that one of them is touting delicious full fat foods and the other is explaining precisely why those sorts of foods cause us to over eat, which in turn helps me savor them but realize the conspiracy that is making me want to continue far after I've reached a satisfactory point.

I'm headed to the table now to enjoy a very small, very light dinner. I had something large planned, but it turns out I'm truly not very hungry. I'm quite confident I'd be satisfied with just a mug of tea, but after tonight's workout I know I need to replenish just a bit and so I'm having 1 cup of spaghetti squash with delicious veggie spagsauce (peppers, onions, zucchini, mushrooms and basil).

Because it's going to be a long winter and I'm truly enjoying revisiting one of my favorite activities, help me grow my list by filling me in on some of your favorite inspiring or informative books?

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

I really enjoy reading...looking forward to checking out your finds. One read that I found helpful, YOU on a Diet. Another interesting book is Skinny Bitch. SB does use alot of vulgarity so be prepared, and it is also very pro vegan lifestyle. I found it interesting even though I am not a vegan and probably won't become one :) It's always nice to listen and digest other points of view. Congrats on 50 followers!

antgirl said...

The End of Overeating was an eye opening read. I think. Parts of it made a lot of sense to me.

Strong Women Stay Young and Strong Women Stay Slim by Miriam Nelson are my main resource books.

Otherwise, I read mostly fiction and books on writing, science, history or whatever I'm currently researching. I love reading. :) Just as much as writing.

takinitoff said...

where did you see you have 50 followers? According to my google reader you have 68 people subscribed to your blog! woot!

i'm reading the beck diet solution right now, but i've just started. currently they are still just talking about how awesomet their solution is, but not what the actual solution is :) thanks for recommending books, though! I'll have to check these out too -Adrienne

totegirl said...

Dude. I know EXACTLY what you mean by this: "I can certainly see how through this lifestyle you learn what you truly like and what you could take or leave. This helps you to select things in moderation and cut back when you have indulged. It also makes you feel sexy. I'm not kidding. All day, the way I've treated my food, my coffee, my tea... feels feminine. It feels special."

Sorry to quote the whole thing, but it's like you just verbalized something I didn't even realize I was thinking or feeling.

Meet Virginia said...

As a Man Thinketh by James Allen is a small and very powerful book. It is a quick read, but you will love it! VERY inspirational.