Monday, November 16, 2009

Reader Recipe Request: Fall Potato Salad

Laura at 100in12 wanted to know what my "Fall Potato Salad" is. Maybe you do too?

Fall Potato Salad

Ingredients
  • 3 cups diced beets, cooked (reserve 1tbsp cooking liquid)
  • 8 oz diced red potatoes, cooked [peeled or not, I never peel them] (I also just braised these with the beets and a little salted water)
  • 2 small diced green apples, peeled and cored
  • 1/3 c finely diced unsweetened dill pickles
  • 1/3 medium sweet or red onion
  • 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 c fat free sour cream OR greek yogurt (I use greek yogurt, but if you have sour cream don't run out and buy the yogurt... even though it's better)
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
  • OPTIONAL: fresh chopped parsley or dill

Assuming you've already cooked the beets and potatoes like you're supposed to, combine the potatoes, apples, pickles and onion in a serving bowl.

Combine the vinegar, oil, pepper and 1/2 tsp of the salt in a small bowl and drizzle over the salad. If you're using parsley or dill, go ahead and scatter that around the edges. Cover this concoction and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Just before serving - make the dressing. Mix the sour cream/greek yogurt, lemon juice, the reserved beet juice, white pepper and remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Serve by mixing with the salad, or on the side for dipping. Whatever your pleasure.

Enjoy!

By the way, that Breyer's cookie/yogurt thing was not delicious. It wasn't bad, but it certainly didn't pass as desert. Yogurt and cookies don't belong together, at least not yogurt that isn't super rich and decadent. I give it half a thumbs up, which means "If you're desperate, it'll pass." Otherwise, I'd be happier to make something delicious by crumbling up Kashi Dark Chocolate Oatmeal cookies (2 points). Those are the bane of my existence right now. I can't keep them in the house. They're just too good.

If you have self control around cookies (I don't) I highly recommend them.

8 comments:

She woke up FAT said...

I'm glad you liked my post. I have been a little concerned that my anti "diet" attitude isn't being understood correctly.

Your potato salad sounds yummy, not sure about the beets. Maybe I could omit those. Sorry bad childhood memories of my Dad beating me for throwing up my beets prevent me from eating them. LOL

Mary :: A Merry Life said...

That sounds good! I might try that soon... thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

What a Splurge said...

Sounds delicious!

nic said...

I would give beets another chance. I hated them as a kid too, and now I pretty much LOVE them. I want to eat them all the time.

Heidi said...

mmmm. i will be trying this immediately. thanks.

antgirl said...

That sounds delicious. Mmmm. I will copy & print and plan to make sometime soon. Thanks for sharing. :)

fattygetsfit said...

that recipe sounds amazing!

nic said...

And WWeea' I can't believe I forgot to post that by my calculations this recipe is only 2 points for 1 cup + 1 tbsp of dressing!!!