Sunday, November 8, 2009

My #1 Curse (and a recipe)

I am an excellent cook.

It's true. It's a great trait and it's also a gigantic downfall because I want to eat everything I make, in large amounts, in small amounts of time. Last night, I made one of my favorite dishes. Cranberry-Pear Chicken. It's delicious, it's one skillet and it's relatively low point. I hadn't phoned it in at my Step class in the morning, and went on an additional hike with a girlfriend, her son, Eli and both our dogs. We walked and climbed and fell (once or twice) and discovered. I earned 10 APs yesterday, so I knew I could be a little "special" with dinner.

I decided roasting butternut squash would be a brilliant accompaniment to the Cranberry-Pear Chicken, but that wasn't enough. Candied Pecans were made and added to the roasting pan. And asparagus, lightly dressed in my most expensive bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil with fresh cracked pepper and slices of garlic so thin you could literally see through them.

It felt like the most gourmet meal I've ever had (until I make the next one).

It was the world's most fantastic reward.

Down side? I ate about 15 extra candied pecans while I was cooking, and those don't come cheap on the points scale. Remedy? Rearranged dessert to be a big mug of ZERO POINT peppermint hot cocoa.

This is going to be a great week, and I'm in such a good mood that I'm giving you my deliciously prized Cranberry-Pear Chicken Recipe. Enjoy.

Cranberry-Pear Chicken

Prep time: About 10 minutes
Cook time: About 15 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour (I use wheat flour for everything, but it has a distinct taste some don't like)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 3/4 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts cut into 1" chunks
  • 2 tsp canola oil
  • 1 ripe pear, peeled cored and chopped
  • 3 scallions sliced
  • 3/4 cup pear nectar
  • 1/4 cup dried cranberries
  • 2 tsp coarse-grain mustard

How-to

Combine the flour, 1/2 tsp of the salt and 1/2 tsp of the pepper on a sheet of wax paper. Add the chicken and toss to coat.

Heat 1 1/2 tsp of oil in a large (nonstick) skillet over med-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally until browned and cooked through (5-8 minutes). Transfer the chicken to a plate.

Add the remaining 1/2 tsp of oil to the same skillet, then the pear and scallions. Cook over med-high heat until the pear is golden (stir often). Add the pear nectar, cranberries and remaining salt and pepper. Increase the heat to high and cook until the sauce bubbles and thickens, stir occasionally. This takes about 3 minutes. Stir in the mustard and return the chicken to the skillet and mix, cook until heated through (probably about 1 minute).

1 serving = 1 cup = 4 points. (approximately 215 cals, 5g fat, 23g carb, 3g fiber, 20g protein, 28g calcium)

VOILA. Yum.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

That sounds awesome. I'm putting it on my meal plan for this week. Thanks.

Bare It All said...

Yum. This would be a great dish for me to make post-Thanksgiving for my boyfriend's family. Thank you!

100in12 said...

very fancy-pants! i put cranberries in my chicken salad and it's a tasty addition.

your description of the asparagus....i drool. puddles over here.

great week good mood hooray!