Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Keeping With the Theme...

Yesterday, there was a theme sweeping the weight loss blogging community (and by sweeping, I mean it was sewn in to about 5 or 6 blogs that I read regularly). Everyone was trying to remember that we need to focus on today.

I thought I'd share, as I have a few times before, the few paragraphs I have framed and hanging in my office. They're ripped from an Alcoholics Anonymous handbook, but I believe they apply to life in general, to any goal, to any overcoming of any obstacle, and I work from a home office so I never worry that someone thinks I'm a drunk.

Here goes:

JUST FOR TODAY, I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all of my problems at once. I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If my mind fills with clouds, I will chase them away and fill it with sunshine.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things that I can correct and accept those I cannot.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable. I will be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I'll not speak ill of others. I'll improve my appearance, speak softly, and not interrupt when someone else is talking. Just for today, I'll refrain from improving anybody but myself.

JUST FOR TODAY, I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility for my own actions.


And that's that. I read that basically every day. Sometimes multiple times a day. I also carry a mini version of just the first paragraph right behind my driver's license in my wallet.

In keeping with the theme of Just For Today, I'm conducting an experiment. I'm eating twice the amount of points for breakfast as I usually would to see if eating a little more in the morning, and a slightly larger lunch as well, will help me to feel more satiated at dinner time and not result in dessert binges. If it doesn't work, tomorrow is another day.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

oooohhhhhh me likey!!!

and today is definitely a better day than yesterday was....yay!

Sonya said...

THANK YOU a million times over for posting that. I love it. I read it over twice.

And thanks for your vote of confidence re: my spinning. I smiled when I read it. Lots.:-)

antgirl said...

I found eating more raw veggies with lunch and dinner helps keep me full and from snacking.

Also a mug of tea in my favorite flavor. Calorie free and it feels like a treat.