Thursday, November 26, 2009

Gobble Gobble Gobble. Gain.

Good Morning, my friends! I just got back from a most amazing workout at the gym. Can I express how THANKFUL I am to have a gym that's open on Thanksgiving?

It surprised me to realize that this was the first solo workout I've done since joining my new gym. I had been relying 100% on classes for my workouts. That definitely doesn't mean I've been doing 100% cardio. No siree. Boxing and Step both have strength training elements and I still play around with my resistance bands and the 30 Day Shred at home.

It really felt amazing to push myself. I was the only one accountable for this workout. No one told me what to do, there wasn't choreography or assignments or instructors barking orders. I really worked it hard and I left the gym a sweaty mess. It was the perfect way to start a day that revolves almost completely around food, especially after the results of last night's weigh in. I knew I had gained, so it was no surprise, and I'll be honest that +3.2lbs actually elated me. I was positive it was much more. I have nothing but confidence that I can take off at least half of the gain this week - if not MORE.

(just throwing that in there for fun)

I'm in the 120th hour of being smoke free and I feel fantastic. Yesterday I was finally able to get it together. Writing out my TOTS for the week really renewed me and remembering that if I can focus on this goal, these goals rather, distracting myself, I won't even think about the fact that I quit smoking 5 days ago. I've been reframing in my mind. It's not "I don't smoke anymore." it's "I don't smoke." Past is past.

I don't really have a plan for "the big meal" today. I know that's dangerous, but I don't actually know what will be there - which makes it difficult to choose. I made my ultra-super-delicious Cranberry Relish to bring to my Aunt's, as well as the (now) famous Fall Potato Salad. I apologize but I've apparently lost the recipe to my Cran-relish, so I had to wing it. I'm not even going to try to explain my improvisation, but there are many delish recipes out there. Cooking Light's version with oranges is pretty close.

Knowing that I have a dessert I can eat, a side I really enjoy and that turkey is really pretty safe in general, I feel confident that I will make the right choices at the table. I'm not a fan of the way that side of my family prepares Green Bean Casserole or Stuffing, so those won't be hard to turn down. I've already written my script for asking the hostess if it would be ok for me to use my salad plate as my dinner plate and remove the larger one from the table, and I have planned for 2 glasses of wine alternated by LOTS of water.

I'm trying to be mindful of what this day is REALLY about. It's not about the dinner, though that is what we focus on. It's about celebrating unions and family. For me, it will be about catching up with a side of the family I truly only see once per year. Focusing on them, what they're up to, who they are right now. I will help in the kitchen and wash dishes and distract myself. I might curl up on the couch and take a nap. Relatives and relaxation.

I KNOW starting the day off with that workout will keep me in the right frame of mind. I know I am prepared for the stresses of this traditional day without the smoking/bonding time with my Uncle. I know that I am strong enough to still go outside and catch up with him and not smoke. I also know that I do not need to eat the appetizers set out because dinner is very soon to follow. I'm rehearsing mental mantras for both the snacking/smoking dilemmas and I feel strong.

What is your plan today?

1 comment:

Holly L. said...

I am so impressed, a 10K? That's amazing! I'm working my way there, but slowly... So glad to hear you're still working on those tots! Planning is so empowering sometimes isn't it?