Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Focus.

I did a lot of thinking last night. Currently, I have a lot on my plate. I'm on Day 3 of Chantix which may or may not be messing with my mind, I'm dog sitting a crazy puppy who does not understand the words "No Jump" [and also barfed on my blanket] and work is a crazy tornado of busy, but I can't let all of those things stop me up. That's life. I'm going to be busy, quitting smoking will be hard, and someone will always be barfing on my blanket - so to speak.


Rebecca at Durch DICK und Duenn explained something I was fighting her on yesterday. Her stance is that weight loss is so much about what we put in our mouths more than exercising. Being a "read between the lines" kind of gal, I took that somewhat as saying "Exercise doesn't matter," and I got angry. Luckily, she is a sane person and explained it in a different way, stating her intention is to help people stop making excuses about not losing weight if they're intimidated or unable to exercise. And you know what, she is right anyway. Weight loss is purely about less calories in than calories out. You could do that eating Mickey's donuts if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it.


I'm such an exercise pusher because it is such a great conducter of confidence and power. So many of us start this journey, and consequently give up and restart it multiple times, because we don't think we're worth it. We aren't worth taking care of, it's too hard, I don't have time, and the plethora of other excuses that actually just mean "I'm not strong enough."

Well you are.

And you can be stronger.

Practice is like a muscle, the more you work at something, the stronger it gets. I need to remember to strengthen my mental muscles along with my physical ones, because lately my eating habits have literally been out of control. We talked about the cookie fiasco, that was a bad one, but aside from that I've been sneaking in little things here and there and conveniently forgetting to track them.


In BitchCake's words, "The only thing stopping me is ME."


So this week, I vow to pick back up The Beck Diet Solution, which has been sitting lonely on the dining room table. I'm just starting over. Clean slate. I will work from Day 1 to the end, one day at a time rather than trying to rush through like I did before.


There are still 44 days left till the end of the year, and if I really REALLY allow myself to start over, to be gentle but dedicated, I know I can make it to goal. Despite all the holidays, despite the stress, despite the dogs puking on blankets, I can do this.


AND SO...


I propose a challenge. To all of you ladies and gents who are stuck hovering, gaining and losing the same 2.5lbs week after week after week, I invite you to join me for the No Mo' Potato Challenge.



It's not a real challenge. I wouldn't know how to run a challenge in the midst of all this other junk I have going on, but here's what I'M going to do, and if you want to join me, I'd love it. And maybe there will be prizes. There should always be prizes.


I'm going to take these 44 days, roughly 6.3 weeks, and I'm going to use them to lose the 7.2lbs I need to get to goal. At about 1.2lbs weekly, I think I can pull this off with some determination and a little elbow grease (but not too much, I hear it's fatty). I'll be setting Tatter Tot Goals weekly, little steps to get me through the week and on towards the bigger challenge. [I am seriously laughing so hard as I type this because it's so ridiculous. Why potatoes? I just thought of this now, but maybe it will work. I can't stop myself]


Since 7.2lbs is a weird goal, and really only applies to me, maybe you're No Mo' Potato could be setting a new mini-goal to get you through the end of the year.

What will get you through?

3 comments:

Meet Virginia said...

I absolutely believe that you can hit your 7.2 by the end of 2009. In fact, I have no doubt. 7.2 is not a weird goal, it is YOUR goal. And for that it is very important.

Not only will you be able to stand up on New Years Eve and say "I did this", but you will be able to write about it and who knows how many people will get that surge of resolve that they need to hit their 7.2.

Sounds like you are on the right track with calorie in/out. We are cheering for ya.

Holly L. said...

Hi Nic! I love it! Little tater tots! OK, count me in, Beck book and all. I'm looking at a bit more than 7.2 pounds, but I'll aim for 7.8 pounds from yesterday. :)

Lor said...

quitting smoking sucks, ive been there. i quit the summer before last and prior, i had smoked almost 5 years. not a large amount of time, i know, but it still felt like the end of the world to me. it gets better. honestly, i had a harder time putting down the ciggie than i did putting down the ice cream. heh. they were my rock for so long.. anyway, i ended up gaining 40 pounds sans ciggies, so as long as you're working hard and eating healthily, you'll be just fine. i'm here if you ever need to vent, or if you're having an intense nic fit, heh.

oh, and mom had taken chantix before and had to quit because it gave her crazy, crazy nightmares. **shrugs** they might be making you feel weird, but stick with it as long as you can; whatever you can do to help! YOU CAN DO IT, girl! look at all you've accomplished! you rock :)