Thursday, October 29, 2009

Welcome! (and workouts)

I have a whole slew of exciting new followers. I feel extra honored (not only for the attention) but the added support as I work towards finishing up this weight loss journey to continue on in my never-ending quest to be the healthiest I can be.

Thank you for reading!

For anyone who's so new that they can't tell, I'm a fitness FREAK. This is all about fitness for me and I truly believe that exercise and physical health should be at the forefront of any weight loss effort.

When I first started getting reacquainted with activity, I joined my local YWCA. I played around on the elliptical for 30 minutes daily. At 200lbs and a year or two of sedentary lifestyle, that was enough to quickly melt away pounds. With that gym membership, I had 2 free sessions with a personal trainer coming to me. After sitting down with my PT and explaining my history of organized sports and love of bicycling, she determined that I was cheating myself. The elliptical is basically like going for a stroll in the grand scheme of things.

I started strength training 3x a week with a routine she set up for me. I started walking on the treadmill at an incline. I discovered the StepMill and rediscovered the rowing machine. I started attending classes like Zumba and Hi/Lo Impact. I never did the same thing 2 days in a row and I changed my routine every 3-4 weeks.

Varying my workouts has been very important to my success and my continued physical health, endurance and stamina. There's a whole bunch of articles supporting the fact that varying your workouts is a smart idea.

Through the summer I finally took up running. Real running, at least to me, with limited walking and earned myself an average pace of 10 mph, which I'm seriously proud of! I also worked for trade at a Pole Dancing studio where I took a variety of classes including pole dance (obviously), Pole Power Fitness (strength training using free weights and the pole) and Body Booty Camp (an aerobics/tae bao style class).

Early this month, I joined a new gym. It has completely remotivated me and got me back to varying my workouts. I thought I'd share my current workout schedule. Maybe it will motivate you, maybe it will make you hate me, maybe you won't even look at it.

Monday: Morning - Run (3.2 miles). Evening - Step class with Doug. [This class is absolutely insane. Doug, the instructor, wears a speedo and basically dances around the room doing backflips and Fosse-esque moves. I depend wholly on the regulars of the class to know what to do because Doug's not doing it. He's the hype-man]

Tuesday: Afternoon - either 30 Day Shred at home or 30 minutes on the Stepmill at the gym, always with 10 minutes of jump roping added (to whichever I am motivated to do). Evening - Boxing Circuit. [2 minute stations alternating between various combos for bag boxing or shadowboxing with Ted, the instructor. Other stations include jumping lunges, squats with a 20lb medicine ball, jump roping, and push ups on platforms. It's hardcore.]

Wednesday: Afternoon - Run (3.2 miles). Evening - REST (It's my Weight Watchers meeting and weigh in day)

Thursday: Afternoon - Dog Walk (generally between 3-5 miles). Evening - SPIN class with Laura R. [Insanity. My heart rate sometimes jumps to 220+, which is 4x+ my resting heart rate!]

Friday: Morning - Run (3.2 miles). Evening - 30 Day Shred or Spin class with Krista [not as insane as Laura R.]

Saturday: Morning - Step class with Doug. [Saturday Step is 1.5 hours instead of 1 hour. Known to burn 900 calories. Jeez!] Afternoon/Evening - We are typically very active on the weekends and Saturday afternoon might include hiking with the dog, long bike rides or rock climbing.

Sunday: Morning - Bag Boxing class [this one is with a partner and focuses more on combat and technique]. Afternoon/Evening - See above


So that's what I'm doing all the time. It takes a lot of time, but it's ME time. I don't generally take a ton of time out for myself. I'm a giver. I work with the homeless, which is time consuming, and I'm also the ICE (in case of emergency) number in everyone's cell phone because I am always reliable to call on for a favor. My friends know this... and they do it. Often. And I'm mostly ok with it.

I do try to mark my fitness schedule in my planner and in my Blackberry so that they're treated as obligations, like my meetings or Doctor appointments. It's something that's important to me and I want to give it the attention it deserves.

What is your FAVORITE part of your workout routine?

2 comments:

Doug said...

Loving it.

I need to get back and get my butt to the gym.

Keep it up!

Bare It All said...

Holy moly...two workouts a day? How do you do it lady? :)