Saturday, October 31, 2009

Positivity.

Yesterday when I picked up my race packet for the Monster Dash 5k I'm running in about 2.5 hours, I opened up the envelope to check out my number and make sure I put my timing chip in a safe place.

Wait.

Where's my chip?

WHERE'S MY CHIP!?!

I read on, of course, to find that the 5k is not a timed race. This information would have been extremely handy to have at registration time, before I paid $30 to run around a lake with a bunch of people that I already run around with, at the same lake, on a weekly basis.

Needless to say, I'm pretty annoyed. I've been training hard to beat my previous best 5k time and this was the race I encouraged Jessica to run as her first official 5k. She's an excellent runner and will be making EXCELLENT time today, but won't have the opportunity to see the results (officially).

I'm trying not to be a giant baby about it, but I'll fully admit that last night I threw a fit. I decided I wasn't cooking dinner and walked over to the Co-op to pick up something to eat. I grabbed every unhealthy thing I could find that sounded good at the time. I even grabbed my favorite chocolate bar (B.T. McElrath's Salty Dog) and headed toward the checkout. When I looked down at my arms, I was so embarrassed. I looked like the ultimate sad, pathetic girl on a Friday night. I had ice cream, a pot pie (I REALLY wanted that pot pie), a chocolate bar, a box of cookies (oh no! Not the same mistake again), and a pizza. Did I really think I'd be able to eat all of that?

I put everything back and walked outside.

I'm sure anyone who even noticed I was there thought I was insane. I stood outside for about 3 minutes, repeating [outloud], "I can do this," "I can do this."

So, if you happened to be at the Seward Co-op last night, I sincerely apologize because I was the crazy lady pacing outside and talking herself down from sugarcide.

I walked back in, grabbed a pear, a Kashi frozen meal, and some roasted beets.


Success.

I came home, made dinner, lazed around for a while, and then made my own version of a DQ Pumpkin Pie Blizzard with vanilla frozen yogurt, leftover pumpkin pie pudding that I made and crumbled graham crackers. It was divine. It was also 3x the size of a small DQ Blizzard (which clocks in at 13.5 points) and contained only 5.5 points.


GIANT SUCCESS.

So, today is about keeping a positive attitude. It's Halloween after all. I have to remember that one of my very best friends is running her first official 5k today and this day is about her. She HATES added attention, but it always makes everyone feel a little more special.
Looking forward to tomorrow! Race results, Halloween pictures and success stories of how I beat candy to a bloody pulp (by not eating it).

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

6 comments:

Doug said...

Whoa that looks like a sweet shake!!!

Good job :). You're killin it!

Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit said...

Good job on checking yourself before the meltdown. That's progress, my friend.

Heidi said...

i'm going to make one of your blizzards tonight. that's a great idea! i love pumpkin anything, and it's even better when it's not half of my daily points.

Sonya said...

Ohhhhhh, that really blows about the lack of chip. Especially when you signed up with a competitive purpose. I would have had a meltdown too, don't worry.

But I love your attitude today, and I hope you had a TON of fun running that 5K.:-)

And great work coming home with healthy food. Your blizzard looks delish.

Proud of you!

Del said...

WOW, you are amazing. Great job putting everything back and making better choices... and the pumpkin shake looks amazing! What a bummer about the race, that would make me cranky too, but I'm sure you will make the most of it.

Happy Halloween!!!

Rebecca said...

look at you!!!

how fabulous!!! i dont know if i could have put every back!

hope your race went well today!