Saturday, October 24, 2009

In(tro)spection

It has been so uplifting to have so many new blogs to find and follow lately. The "new crowd" is so introspective, so set on getting in touch with themselves and finding harmony between their head, heart and heinies. I feel as if I'm building my network of support each day, and it's touching, because I can't tell you how sick I am of reading about 100 calorie packs (worthless/gross).

Yesterday, I found this great website called JogTunes.com where you can input your mile time and it will give you a big beautiful list of songs from a wide variety of genres that fit the BPM to pace your runs. I was in heaven. I needed new running music and now I have 3 new run playlists for long runs (up to 1.5 hours), recovery runs (which I do after weight lifting at a much slower pace) and my training runs. I typically run a 10 minute mile, of which I am proud, but because I've been "training" to get faster for my 5k next weekend and because I have this new and powerful tool, I decided to make a playlist for someone who runs a 9 minute mile to see if it would improve my time. I am VERY driven and inspired by music. Beats flow through me and guide my feet. My inclination was right - with the new playlist I can run a 9 minute mile. I can run THREE 9 minute miles.

It's amazing how much our heads get in our way. Exertion is almost 90% mental. Your body is capable of so much that your mind won't let it do. I'm tired of that battle and I've begun the necessary steps to build my faith in myself and my body. I want them to know each other, considering they share the same small living space, you'd think they'd want to fight a little less too.

I'm trying to focus on how lucky I am to have the body that I do. My legs work, and they're strong as hell. They carry me where I need to go when I need them to with minimal effort. They're even willing to be used and abused with ridiculous amounts of exercise (but secretly, they love it). My belly is soft, and that's ok. It's round and curvaceous and I happen to think it's very sexy. Sure, I've got stretch marks but those are battle scars. Markings of a war I've WON over weight. My breasts aren't all they used to be, in fact they're half their size and have maintained little of their buoyancy, but I just assume they're trying to get a little closer to my sexy stomach and that's ok, I don't blame them.

There is so much to love about our bodies. They do SO much for us, everything in fact, that we should reward them with what they really want (good fuel food and exercise) not what we "want." It's time to stop being selfish and start giving back to the person who does it all.

6 comments:

Rapunzel said...

What a beautiful post, thank you for the reminder to love my body - stretch marks, flabby tummy & all!

Bare It All said...

I can feel your peace coming through your words. Thank you for sharing your newfound tool...I'll have to check it out!

Sonya said...

I'm so glad I found your blog! And thanks for the link for running playlists - I've been looking for a bunch of new tunes, so that's great.:-)

Lasserday said...

new reader, just saying hi. :)

Zanna, travelling tart said...

Brilliant post - it's so easy to lose sight of yourself and what matters in the overall struggle of life, weightloss whatever. Thanks for the info on JogTunes - will be checking that out. Zxx

Priscilla, Lil Miss Hungry said...

Great post, Nic! 9minute miles, you rock! Hope you and your doggie have a great time at the Monster Dash. And thanks for the info for the playlists!!