Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Excuses.

I try to make excuses all the time, for everything. It's such a huge part of the American culture. When I return something to Target, I launch into an hour long explanation of why I'm bringing it back to the store when all I need to do is say, "it didn't work out." The clerk clearly doesn't care, doesn't need to know, and stares at me blankly.

Why do we make excuses?

Yesterday, I was the anti-excuse. I went for my Lake Harriet training run for the upcoming Monster Dash 5k and it was simply gorgeous out. The sun was shining, it was beautiful. I could have easily sat on my front porch reading all day, but I knew I needed to run.

I got out there, made my way around the lake (3.2mi) and as I had my car in sight, I decided I was going to walk around it as a cool down. Walking quickly turned to jogging 2 minutes later, and I ran the lake again. 6.3 miles total, and complete insanity.

Our bodies are so capable of everything we want them to do. It's the mental game, the excuses, the breaks, the free passes that we give ourselves that hold us back. Yesterday, I believed I could run 6 miles, and I did. Later that night, I believed I had the energy for Doug's crazy Speedo Step class, and I did.

Did I mention that all of this was on the first day of .... Aunt Flo? That's right kids, the day every lady gives herself a pass for, I did all of this. Believe me, I woke up feeling pretty worn down, not ready to face the world but definitely ready to face a giant chocolate pudding for breakfast. It's all about decisions.

Choose not to excuse.

I can't reiterate enough that losing weight is just hard work, but doesn't hard work feel good?

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

losing weight really is hard work and making the right choices.

it's THAT simple!

totegirl said...

Dang Nic! SUPERWOMAN! You better believe it feels good, though! How did we ever manage without endorphine highs? Why would we ever want to? Woohoo!!!!

Glam said...

Losing weight IS hard work. The hardest! But if your a sick masochist like me then you love it! It's getting up and doing it that's the hard part for me.

Congrats on being the anti-excuse!

Heidi said...

I went to my first WW meeting today thanks a great deal to your inspiration on here lately.

Great work on your running lately. It won't be long until you're doing a full marathon!

Del said...

This post was exactly what I needed today. I was planning on going on a hike with a friend after work, she canceled on me, and I used that as an excuse to not exercise. Before making dinner I read your post, and I got my butt to the gym for a quick workout. There are no excuses! Thanks for the inspiration when I really needed it!

Dani said...

I really want to do the Monster 5k next year! Looks like a ton of fun! :)