Friday, October 30, 2009

Don't be a Halloweenie!

Halloween is totally my favorite. Costumes are my favorite. CANDY CORN is my favorite.

If you love candy but aren't sure what's safe to steal from the kiddo's trick or treat bucket, check out this ULTRA handy guide from HungryGirl!

Growing up, I always loved this holiday because my mom was a very creative seamstress. Her amazing abilities allowed me to be every single one of the Disney princesses - in homemade costumes. That was, of course, after I was Shira [masters of the universe] for 6 years in a row.

As a younger adult, I think I loved Halloween because it gave me a night where no one really focused on who I was but who I was being that night. The anonymity was thrilling. I could hide.

I do still love dressing up as someone else, though not to hide my real self. Keeping with the theme of my mother's creativity, I always make my own costumes, or at least construct/assemble them.

Here's me last year:



Rosie the Riveter. I made an exact replica of the actual poster (just without Rosie) fine print, stamps and all [though you can't see] and strapped it to my back. I biked with that on, which still makes me laugh.

I wanted to be a strong character last year because that's how I felt. I had lost nearly 50lbs, and I genuinely felt that We Can Do It, though not in quite the same sense as Rosie meant that.

I'm not a huge fan of chocolate, so Halloween isn't generally a danger-zone for me. I do enjoy a mini-bar or two (or twelve) here and there, but being surrounded by friends generally keeps me away from the candy. Not only that, but we ONLY buy mini-tootsie pops to give out to the kids, and Eli must keep his candy in his closet. Out of sight, out of mind. If I happen to snatch one or two Snickers from his pumpkin bucket , that'll be ok. Remember I'm running the Monster Dash tomorrow!


Do you have a plan to stay on track this Halloween?

6 comments:

Bare It All said...

Such a good costume! Halloween is my favorite too, and this year we have nothing planned. :( Oh well, I'll still put something on and answer the door to trick-or-treaters!

I'm planning on remaining 100% candy less. I can't handle the temptation right now.

Heidi said...

I love that costume from last year.

I'm allowing myself three pieces of candy (saved points for it) and then I just have to know I'm done.

Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit said...

Ha! I heart that costume!

Luckily, my dentist accidently pulled my sweet tooth when I was young so I have a take-it-or-leave-it relationship with candy. If we could find my "beer tooth," I'd really be in business...

antgirl said...

Ummmm, I've already been eating the blow pops. One everyday for the past week. :-O In lieu of another snack, it's OK. But I can't wait to throw the rest of the candy at the kids tomorrow evening. Be gone!

I'm not a big sweets person, but I do sometimes enjoy a piece of candy. And, of course, licorice is my big weakness. So's, I don't buy licorice.

Priscilla, Lil Miss Hungry said...

I love chocolate so I've been keeping it out of my house lately. I'm not a big fan of other candies but if it's there I'll eat it anyway so I don't even buy it to begin with. How sad.
I've only dressed up once. 2 years ago I was a slutty pirate. I'm not creative at all so I suck at creating Halloween costumes.

Have a great time at the Monster Dash!

takinitoff said...

love your costume! ironically, i ran the monster dash 5k as rosie the riveter a few years ago! however, i didn't think of the poster in the back - GENIUS! :) -- Adrienne