Wednesday, September 2, 2009

September.

August went by quickly for me, but I managed to complete ALL of my monthly fitness goals.

Yesterday, when I was searching my mind for new and creative ideas, I decided I needed to be realistic. I know this month is going to be jam packed with meetings, events and obligations, so I've decided not to raise the mileage on any of my static goals like biking and walking. I did, however, take a lesson away from my August goals while I was completing my lake walks - two of which I did with girlfriends. I love walking and talking.

It's obvious to anyone who knows me that I love to talk. I could go on for hours about anything, mostly because I never quite feel I'm getting my point across correctly so I keep shoving words into the air to attempt to pound it in. It's obnoxious and annoying and I appreciate my friends so much more for putting up with me when I am on one of these rants and rambles.

Hence, the "activity date" was born. One of my new monthly goals for September is to make at least 3 activity dates with different friends, centered around moving. It could be a nice crisp walk, it could be a group fitness class, a bike ride, or any number of things that involve centering my energy and strength into an activity rather than a happy hour mug.

The second new goal is to take advantage of the class punch card my sister gifted me for my birthday back in July. The card is to The Firm, and I intend to use at least one of my punches for a boxing class, and hopefully at least 2 of the others on classes I've never tried such as Step or Funk.

Yesterday, I half-heartedly decided that it's nearing my time to quit cleaning at Flex Appeal where I take my pole classes. Because of my busy schedule, in the last 3 months I've only made it to one class per week regularly, and that's Pole Power, the fitness class with strength training elements. Because I take this class, I've allowed my actual strength training routine to fall by the wayside and I can feel my muscles wilting. Additionally, the instructor will be out for the months of October and November, so I won't even be able to take that class. It was a fun phase, but it's time to move on.

I have had a goal to run an official 5k for almost 2 years now and still have not done it. I've dropped out of the Couch to 5k program about 3 times now and I'm feeling stuck. I'm not making it an "official" goal this month, but I intend to make most of my Run/Walk/Hike miles running miles by restarting the Couch to 5k program at whatever week I determine my current stamina of running is. I would love to sign up for a 5k around Halloween.

Speaking of which, Halloween is my all-time favorite holiday ever. I usually start thinking of costume ideas months and months in advance and they're pretty much always awesome and involve a lot of work. Justin and I have been together for a very long time, and we've only once done a couple's costume. We were Ghostbusters when Eli was about 4. (Yes, I made those costumes.)




This year, I want to convince him to be a "Before and After" picture of me. I have a wig that almost identically matches the way I wear my hair currently, and other than the fact that he's much taller than me, it's not too much of a stretch to make him up to look like a chubbier (ok, much larger) version of me. I still have a pair of "fat jeans" to use either for him or for me to hold out to show the inches I've lost. Haven't really sorted out the details, I just wanted to process this because I LOVE HALLOWEEN!

3 comments:

Jessitracker said...

I think you and I should do this:

http://www.teamortho.us/Monster_Dash

You can wear a Halloween costume while doing a 5k! How fun would that be?

I wanted to do that one last year and never wound up doing it either. I can't believe that was almost a year ago already.

Anonymous said...

I love the before and after idea! very original.
As for your goals, you should know that you are an inspiration. I think it is a great idea and have begun using it with my "plan". Tailored for me of course. Great blog. Keep up the good work and thanks for the motivation.

antgirl said...

Love the Ghostbusters and your before/after idea.

Being realistic, I found, is a crucial element in all of this. :)