Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Confessions and an Awesome NO Point Dessert Find!

Last night, I binged on dessert.
It has been 3 days since the last time I did this, and is far becoming one of my worst habits. I know where I went wrong (reward for working so hard today) and have already forgiven myself and given myself credit for stopping when I did.

I needed to put this up here to hold myself accountable. When I don't tell anyone, I'm far more likely to continue this habit. My strategy for countering this in the future is to continue using my mantra "NO CHOICE," and to set out reminders that I must eat at the dining room table to prevent multiple trips to the freezer.

My new tools have been so incredibly helpful. Sitting while eating is becoming a fast habit. I reached for some carrots in the fridge yesterday, just a handful, but stopped. Yes, I know, they're carrots, but if I'm going to eat - I will have a formal snack. So I measured out my carrots and took them into the dining room where I savored every bite. That doesn't sound like too big of a deal, but it's a huge step forward for me in owning up to what I actually put in my mouth, and it saved me from a large mistake yesterday. Coworkers were gathered around the counter in our staff kitchen, making selections from a giant white bakery box. I had to take a peek, just see what was in there. Maple glazed donuts, pretty much one of my favorite things. By the time I could see though, every seat in the kitchen was taken, so I couldn't sit down to eat it. I stopped, thought about it and realized I didn't actually want this donut, I just wanted to be where everyone else was. So I filled my water bottle and stopped to chat for about 5 minutes. By the time I left the kitchen, I didn't care about that donut - which proves I never wanted it in the first place.

Today's goal is to sit whenever eating, eat slowly and mindfully - noticing every bite, and to give myself credit for healthy behaviors. I also want to repeat my mantra over and over "NO CHOICE" to remind myself that I have a plan, and things that are not on this plan are not a choice. When I begin to give myself choices, that is when I falter and ultimately fall down the wrong path. To lose these last several pounds it's going to take 100% of my effort, and I'm willing to give it.
No Point Dessert: Kemp's Fat Free Frozen Yogurt bars. I highly recommend the Black Raspberry Swirl! Yum!


2 comments:

Sally said...

Passing on the donut?

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! This just proves that you are stronger than you think you are!!You can do this!

Thanks for the inspiration :)

antgirl said...

I ate two desserts last night - a Skinny Cow chased by a WW cookies 'n cream. I know it was hormones, so I'm not going to sweat it.

Sounds like you're getting a handle on designing some new rules for yourself. Good going! I admire your stick-to-it-ness.