Tuesday, September 22, 2009

5k is 5killing me.

The excitement building around Sunday's race is becoming too much to bare. I just want to get it over with.

I've been feeling ill the last could days, I'm blaming Saturday's (over)workout at Flex Appeal. Two back to back ultra-challenging classes left me disabled for the remainder of the day and had me limping through my Sunday lake-walk with Jessica. Monday I woke up in a fever sweat and could not remove myself from the bed. The plus side? I caught up on sleep. The negative side? I got in NO activity on Monday. A true rest day.

I did attempt to go out for a run around noon, but made it 3 blocks and turned around. I literally couldn't do it. It wasn't a mind block, my body was shutting down.

I decided to listen, and took the rest of the day off.

Today, I knew I needed to get back out there. I only had 2 training runs left before the race (leaving 2 rest days between the last run and the actual race) and today HAD to be one of them. I got dressed, procrastinated a bit more and then headed out. I finished the course in 32:29, a great time. I even had to walk the middle leg and I still averaged a 10 minute mile. I'm quite proud of myself. I know that on race day, Kelly and I will be even faster with the adrenaline of the group pushing us forward.

Tomorrow night, my regular weigh in night, is the annual donor dinner for my organization. It's a night of schmoozing and socializing and dressing up and open bars. It's danger city, to be more accurate and it's always a stressful couple of hours for me. I'm not great at talking to strangers, regardless of what everyone seems to think. Just because I am outgoing does not mean I enjoy it. Either way, I am headed to a different location to have a meeting with my leader tonight at 6pm to be sure I still get a Weigh In this week.

I set up the remainder of my Activity Dates with friends (part of my monthly goals). Thursday I'll be headed to Zumba with my friend Meg who has just begun a more healthy lifestyle. I'm excited to bring her to this class and help her see that exercise doesn't have to feel like work.

I remember when I first coming back to exercise after avoiding it for years, going to scheduled fitness classes was one of the only things that kept me motivated. Having a set time and location to be kept me accountable, and additionally the camaraderie of the classes kept me coming back. Zumba, in particular, is just too fun to feel like exercise. The music is great, the instructor is fun and upbeat and she encourages you to modify the moves to suit your level. I haven't been to that class in a few weeks, so I'm more than happy to return.

Just 5 more days until my race and I'm counting every second until I can claim to be a "runner."

2 comments:

Priscilla, Lil Miss Hungry said...

I remember my very first 5k...I had so much fun. It's true, the crowd on race day does get the adrenaline going. Go out there and enjoy your run!

MizFit said...

Its almost here!!!

Cheering you on from Texas.