Sunday, August 2, 2009

SUNday.

Yesterday I helped a girlfriend move in the morning. This normally is not my favorite thing to do, though I always offer. However, this particular girlfriend is moving in just 1.5 blocks from my house, so it's very exciting. We ran into a couple roadblocks, like the fact that the tenants who were supposed to vacate on Friday were still there and not at all packed, but we managed to get everything inside and at least set up her bed as they were scrambling to collect their things.

I also got in over 250 stairs from running up and down carrying boxes, so that's a plus.

After the moving, Justin, Eli and I took Jack to the Minnehaha dog park. I wore my pedometer and got in about 6.3 miles towards my Run/Walk/Hiking goal.

This morning I am contemplating biking to Lake Nokomis and jogging or walking around it. The sun is out, and it's supposed to get stormy later so if I'm going to seize this opportunity, now is the time to do it, but I just can't seem to muster up the motivation. I need to tap into it somehow. I don't know what's wrong with me.

Our plans for this afternoon were to go canoeing on Lake Calhoun. Actually, those were our plans for yesterday but it was awfully windy and the air had a slight chill. The forecasted weather for today was 83, sunny and only very mild wind. Now the forecast has changed to 40% chance of rain with isolated thunderstorms and 20 mph winds. Not exactly ideal canoeing weather. It's hard trying to plan fun things to do on weekends around the weather. Eli doesn't quite understand that just because we are adults, it doesn't make us magicians who control the way the outside will be. I guess I'll just have to wait it out.

I've been overplanning for my trip to Colorado in 2 weeks. I am the kind of person who needs to have everything in order to feel comfortable. Not only that, but I'm just incredibly excited about being able to go. I made an appointment to get my haircut, I'm going to work very hard for the rest of my week to shed at least 1 pound so I can get my eyebrows waxed and get a pedicure. I borrowed a book I've been wanting to read for a while from a friend, so I'll have that while I'm sitting at Denver International waiting for the rest of the Minneapolis kids to arrive and pick up the rental car. My friend and tailor Stephanie is going to shorten the straps on my beautiful new dress so that it fits properly (I'm a petite but often shop regular sizes and just have her make them fit) and yesterday I got everyone's butt in gear to find a place to stay. We'll be staying here. It's a good thing too, with the 4 bathrooms, because we are 6 ladies and 2 guys, so we will need the extra mirror space.

I've been thinking a lot this morning about my free time and how I choose to fill it. I'll admit that a lot of the time I sit around doing nothing, mostly brainstorming about my next big project because I'm chained to the house keeping watch over sleeping little people and dogs. Lately I've been craving more freedom and less schedule. I suppose that's what summer is usually like, but as summer's end nears, I feel like I've wasted a lot of time and opportunity. I feel like I've neglected to nurture a lot of friendships and I'm nervous that its too late.

I want to be closer to the people in my life. Getting older frustrates me. I feel like it equates to less fun, but I know it doesn't have to be that way. I know I'm never going to be 16 again with all the freedom and good times that entails, but I wouldn't want to be. I know things now that I wish I knew then. I feel like I make good decisions, but I don't want to make them all the time, and that is why even though this trip puts in a damper in other things we were planning to do, I'm going anyway because I'm listening to my gut. My gut tells me I need to be in CO when Nicole gets married.

So, I'm going to spend a little time on the porch planning out the rest of the week in meals, and then I'm (hopefully) hopping on my bike to go knock out a couple of goals. 1 lake, 3 miles Run/Walk/Hike, and 8 miles biking.

Here's hoping.

2 comments:

totegirl said...

Well? I'm on pins and needles! Whatever happened on Sunday, you should feel really good about all the other stuff that you do! It sounds like fun!

antgirl said...

It's never too late.

Hope you got something fun in on Sunday. :)