Saturday, April 4, 2009

Trader Joe's and a recipe/experiment.

Yesterday was such a beautiful day. The sun was shining, it was warm(er) and I shopped.

Justin and I finally decided to go check out Trader Joe's, which is relatively new to MN, but we are by far the last people in the city to have walked through the doors. It was insanely busy and a little intimidating. We walked away with 3 paper bags, stuffed to the brims for $60, and then bought up half the liquor store for under $50. Very entertaining.


Here are my three favorite snack finds.



An eggplant was one of the first things I picked up and put in the cart. I had no idea why. I'm not very partial to eggplant, I don't use it often in my cooking, so I decided I should. I wandered around thinking about how I could use it, knowing that Eggplant Parmesan was boring and played out.
I settled on Roulades when I saw that Marscapone cheese was super cheap there.... I found a tapenade to mix with it, and there it was... in my head at least.
Here's my experiment:



Starting with Eggplant, Marscapone, Roasted Tomato/Artichoke Heart Tapenade, Basil and Prosciutto.



Slice the eggplant lengthwise. If you're smart, you'll get 8 pieces. I got 7. (2 not pictured). Salt them up so they can sweat a bit, then pat off the extra salt.
Place under broiler for about 5-6 minutes, or at least until they've browned.
While that's happening, take the Marscapone cheese and put some in a bowl. DO NOT USER THE WHOLE TUB. (I was making something else with leftover sauceyness. For the sake of this experiment, use about 1/4 - 1/2 cup.
Add about 2-3 tbsp of the Tapenade. Be careful to "drain" any additional liquid. You want to just get the chunks in there, or the cheese will lose its consistency.
Take your basil and slice it up.
Add that. By now your eggplant slices should be browned and look something like this....
Put them on a working surface (like the counter or a cutting board) browned side down.
Put about 1 tbsp of the mixture on the smaller end and start rolling it up.
Like that. Then, wrap it in Prosciutto.
Like that. Put them in a microwave safe dish, seam side down and put a little marinara or spaghetti sauce on top if you wish. Add more basil if you want, because that tastes good. Microwave for about 1 minute, and you're gold.
They were pretty good, and relatively low point. I had 2 for dinner with a big salad and some wilted spinach.
Experiments are fun!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

oh. my. god.

I LOVE TRADER JOES!!!

you can get so many groceries for cheap and the quality is awesome!!

lets see...i love...
the marinated mozzarela
trader joes greek style jogurt
ezekial bread
they have this trader joe 9 grain flax seed cereal
the chimichurri rice
their frozen brown rice is fabu!
the spinach artichoke dip in the freezer section
the bruschetta in the jar (should be near the tapenade)
trader joe salsa in the refrig section...

hihihihihi...i could go on and on... oh yeah, i havent even touched the chip section yet!!

hahahahaha...

antgirl said...

I have not been to Trader Joe's yet and there's one near me. Now I have to go! LOL

Health Coach said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.