Sunday, March 8, 2009

Time in the Kitchen




I spent the night in last night to recharge, keep myself on track and read the book for my Book Club which meets in approximately an hour and a half. I was successful in all of those things, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Yesterday my kitchen churned out : Whole Wheat Flapjack with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and some cantaloupe (this was what I had for breakfast in an attempt to actually eat breakfast. It was very satisfying), Chili basted roast pork tenderloin with zucchini, red pepper and red onion, Sweet Potato "Falafel" with curried yogurt sauce and my dinner, which was a weird take on a cubano that was not a cubano at all. Apricot Glazed chicken breast (left over) with swiss cheese, deli ham, spicy horseradish mustard and carrots and the last of the cauliflower mash on the side.

Now the kitchen is fully stocked with meals for at least 2 days, and I'm happy about that. It's just long enough to keep me on track for WI on Wednesday.

I am down to 2 Flex Points left for the week. I know I mentioned this yesterday, but it amazes me. To be honest, that's probably actually pretty good for this point in the week and the way I've been eating lately. Just knowing that I am aware of how many flex points I have left puts me at ease because it means I've been tracking. I have tracked every single bite of anything I've put in my mouth since Wednesday. That's hard. It's hard to be honest with myself.

I also set a few rules that I hope will help me out with shedding these last 10 - 15 lbs.

  • Eat Breakfast. Everyone knows you're supposed to eat breakfast. I know this, I've read this, people tell me this. None of that helps me to be hungry in the morning. However, I'm finally attempting to stop the late night snacking I've been doing for... well... ever, and I think adding some calories and protein at the beginning of the day will help my body stop searching for extra calories.
  • No Eating in the Bedroom after 9pm. 9pm on a weekday is generally when I'm starting to wind down and settle in to watch a little TV before dozing off, if I'm being good. Sometimes 9pm is when I'm leaving the house to go out for a night of debauchery. Either way, I consistently want to snack and eat dessert(s) in the bed while I watch TV so this rule, combined with eating breakfast, should help hinder that. I know I will think twice about wanting a few cookies if I have to stand in the kitchen in my nightgown snacking on them while I miss something interesting on Bravo.

I know it's only been a short while, but having these few days of being OP (in a row!) has really helped me to feel that I'm back on track. I've been surfing around on the message boards again, a forum I typically avoid because I feel like I'm 95 in comparison to the topics of interest for the 20 somethings, but reading about other people's struggles helps me to keep myself in check, if only to feel like I'm better than them. (JOKE!)

That's that.

2 comments:

Tamzin said...

I've been making oat-pancakes in bunches and putting themin the fridge for quick handy portable breakfasts.

:)

antgirl said...

I envy you being able to make pancakes. It's something I can't do ... no matter how many times I try. Siiiigh. I love pancakes, too. Sniff. Honestly, I can't make anything that requires flipping like that.

It all looks so yummy. Yeah, eating breakfast is a big key to kicking the metabolism in.

I also find it helpful not to let myself get too hungry between meals. So I try to eat every few hours. The hungrier I get, the more likely I'll go off on some high calorie tangent.