Monday, February 16, 2009

Thoughts from the Desk - Midmorning + Coffee

Today is one of those "struggle" days. I know all of the mistakes I've continued to make even after vowing I'd turn it all around. I think missing my meeting this past week was a very bad idea, though I had fun with my replacement activity, it wasn't in line with my weight loss goals.

The problem right now is that areas of my life are conflicting. I've got a part of me dedicated to meeting new people for both personal and professional gains. I want to make more friends, and with each person I meet, I discover something new about myself. The hurdle here is that people my age (20s and 30s) socialize over food and booze, and it's hard to get people out of that comfortable rut.

Another part of me is working diligently on utilizing those new connections and scouring various outlets for career opportunities - while working full time. This strategy basically has me tied to my computer, a place I love to consume small but copious amounts of calorie laden snacks.

And lastly, there is that part that still wants to finish this journey. I know I can do this. I know I have it in me to finish. I really do understand all the things I need to do, and not do, to get there.

Some parts of me believe that letting go here and there (like these last 2 weeks) help keep me on a sustainable path. Sure, I'll gain. Sure, it will slow down my progress to the end "goal;" but it does show me how much I have learned this time around when a binge is eating 2 cups too many of vanilla yogurt rather than eating my way out of 3 bags of Arby's curly fries.

There has to be some sort of compromise. I think I understand that I can continue to utilize the lessons I've learned and lose or maintain IF I keep my activity level up. Failing that, I must simple eat less. It sounds so easy, but it's really hard to put into play when my entire calendar is full of networking events offering free drinks and food.

What do you do to balance your journey with events like this? Any tips or tricks for braving the never ending see of social opportunity mixed with delicious food and drink?

No comments: