Saturday, January 3, 2009

Thoughts from the Desk : Pre-Gym

When I was typing the title, a little "r" accidentally made it into the word gym. The end result being a rather phonetic spelling of grim, which made me giggle slightly because that's how I'm feeling about going there today. My knee aches, something that's becoming more and more chronic as the temperature drops here in Minnesota. I'm also just generally tired, for no reason, probably as an excuse. I'm sure I actually feel fine.

There are a whole lot of weight loss bloggers writing up about their commitment to their various weight loss programs after a bad holiday season. I'm pretty proud of my holiday season, I made it through by gaining less than 2 lbs, which is better than I've done in general as of late.

I am too, however, recommitting to Weight Watchers this year. I am going to be taking things seriously, and in logical steps. I already mentioned that I'll be getting back to basics. That means measuring portion sizes (which was a wake up call with my cereal yesterday. Darn. It's so delicious, cereal is my biggest weakness. Except cheese - my real biggest weakness. If they made cheese cereal... look out.) I'll also be planning my meals again, which was always really helpful because I have such a busy schedule. It's easier for me if I have a list of things I should eat. I'm generally not hungry for any one specific thing (except cheese and cereal) so if I can just glance at the fridge menu, know what I'm supposed to eat and then eat it - I'll probably succeed.

I also want to try to be more creative in my cooking in 2009. I've certainly fallen into a rut of favorite recipes. I realize that more creative cooking will be a bit of an investment on both the time and money sides, but it will be worth it. I love food. I want to eat things that taste good. I also like entertaining, and it's fun to be able to pass along recipes of decadent foods that are still incredibly diet friendly. It makes you a god in the eyes of other women, and let's not pretend - we kind of all want that.

The fitness thing has been the hardest for the last 6 months. My work schedule makes it almost impossible to make gym time a huge priority. I'd love to be able to go first thing in the morning, but I generally start work at 6:30am, and my gym opens at 5:30am. It would be near impossible to have any sort of "good" workout in that short amount of time. My usual luck of finding time happens in the afternoon, and I'm always pleased with that time of day because there's rarely a large crowd. If, for some reason, I'm not able to get there in the afternoon - I kiss my workout goodbye. There is nothing I hate more than going to the gym during "rush hour." It's all crazy people. Crazy, packed in, stressed out people who yell about things and try to kick me off machines or won't get off my machine. Screw the rush hour crowd. They'll all end up killing themselves fighting over the #18 elliptical someday (it's the one closest to the TV that plays Oprah).

So... I'm excited to reembark on this path. I definitely feel up to it. I really need to refocus my energy into something good for me. The need for career advancement may just fall in my lap if all the other areas of my life are in line (here's hoping). In the mean time, this will be the year I hit goal. I can feel it.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Uggg! I hate rush hour too!