Saturday, January 10, 2009

In the Kitchen : Cooking Day


Today I spent a little time in the kitchen. I went grocery shopping on Thursday and so I had plenty to play with. Today, as I was dropping off my mom's ID card that we so idiotically left at the Y when she came on Tuesday, I decided to head to Lund's because Jessica had mentioned she knew they carried some variety of VitaTop Muffins.

Lunds is an excellent higer-end grocery store. It's spendy, but probably worth it because the quality is very good. I found the VitaTops I was looking for (chocolate tops and corn tops) as well as some FF Redi-whip to go along with the Chocolate ones. I was browsing around and found the Tofu Shirataki Noodles that HungryGirl is always using that I've never been able to find. I bought to packages and rushed home.

The first thing I made today was the Fettuccine Hungry Girlfredo. [see link for recipe]. It was totally amazing after I seasoned it with a few things. The serving clocked in at 81 calories, 3 grams fat and 4 grams of fiber, which if you have your points calculator handy adds up to only ONE POINT! I added some brocolli and 5 or 6 cocktail shrimp, which according to the recipe builder added NO POINTS. I can't believe it. I ate a giant heaping bowl of "pasta" for 1 point. Fantastic.

The second thing I did was take a box of Pillsbury Reduced Sugar Devil's Food cake mix and add a can of pumpkin to it as a sub to the oil and eggs. I added the amount of water it called for and mixed it up. The cake just came out of the oven about 20 minutes ago, but it is EXCELLENT and moist and ultra delicious. According to the recipe builder, this will come out at 3 points per generous slice! A savings of 2 points per slice versus the eggs and oil! Plus, it has TONS of fiber, so I won't feel guilty when I indulge (it's also essentially fat free)!

Lastly, I tried a new WW recipe for White Beans and Bacon. [see recipe below]. I doubled the recipe, and it turned out really well. I always love making bacon because the entire house smells delicious for hours. This makes a really excellent (and interesting) side dish for when you are having a piece of meat as an entree [i.e. chicken breast, porkchop, et al].

It's been a pretty great day, all in all.

White Beans and Bacon

  • 2 slices lower sodium turkey bacon, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 1 15oz can of no-salt-added cannelloni beans (rinsed and drained)
  • salt and peper to taste

-Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add bacon to pan and cook 3 minutes or until bacon begins to brown, stirring often.

-Stir in onion and bell pepper; cook 4 minutes or until veggies are tender, stirring often. Add beans, salt and pepper and cook 2 minutes or just until heated through.

Yields 4 servings (serving = 1/2 cup) 122 cal/5.4 fat/4.2 fiber = 2 points per serving

2 comments:

LTer4ever said...

Wow, this all sounds fantastic!!! I'm going to have to find those tofu noodles because I love pasta. I found you on Roder's blog and you have some interesting posts. I'm looking forward to reading more.

nic said...

I also found a brand of whole wheat pasta with added fiber, which I just finished a box of last week so oddly enough I can't tell you the name right now, but I will find out.

That was SUPER low in points because of the fiber.

The noodles are good, but the consistancy is definately not the same. You have to dry them REALLY REALLY well (she's not kidding) but after that, they're a good sub in a creamy sauce.