Sunday, November 23, 2008

Tis the Season.

I've gotten pretty busy again, and that's left limited time for food picture taking and eating in general. I'm having a pretty great week, points-wise and I feel confident that I should expect a loss tomorrow morning. Last night I had the opportunity to try out a new restaurant in Uptown called moto-i. It's the first sake brewery outside of Japan. I went with Jessica, Joe and Joe and we sampled the 3 varieties of sake. I only really liked the first one, but everyone seemed to enjoy all of them. I don't know much about sake and I'm not accustomed to drinking it. I suppose it's good I really only liked the first one, it gave me the opportunity to drink a lot less than I might have.

We sampled a variety of things. Here's the list of things that came to our table:
  • Taro Shoestrings with Spicy Chili Mayo
  • Soba Noodles with scallion, bell pepper, jimaca, soy sauce and seasame seeds
  • 2 buns, one had hen with spicy hoisin, green onion, thai chili and cilantro. the other was tofu, ponzu, cabbage, sweet chili and pickled carrot
  • Dumplings with shitake, pea shoots and carrots
  • Smoked Salmon Rangoon with lemon and sweet chili sauce
  • Bulgogi
  • Seared tuna ponzu
  • Grilled chinese eggplant
  • Sake Poached Pears with coconut sticky rice for dessert!

The whole experience was very fun and it was nice to be out with people in a new environment. I was the party pooper who didn't want to be out late, so after we ended at one of my least favorite bro-bars Mortimers, it was pretty clear I needed to find a way home. Everyone was rapidly on their way to becoming wasted as I was nursing my second drink of the evening, other than the 1.5 oz of sake I tried at moto-i.

All in all, I had a great time. I wish I had pictures of all the delicious food. I had no idea how to track it, I still don't, so I think I'll just let the scale decide tomorrow morning.

No comments: